Monday, October 26, 2009

Highs and Lows

In the midst of all the sad things that are going on with my Daddy, I have the great pleasure to announce that I am going to be a grandmother for the first time! I have been writing posts about this since the day I found out, but I couldn't make them public - here they are...

September 3, 2009 – a red-letter day in my life!  This is the day I was told I was going to be a grandmother for the first time!  Our daughter and son-in-law are expecting a baby in April.  She thinks it is a boy – mother’s intuition?  I have been praying for this baby for many, many, many years and I couldn’t be more excited….but then she tells me I CAN’T TELL ANYONE!

What? I have just been told I am going to be a grandmother and I can’t tell anyone?  That’s just cruel.  “You can’t tell anyone until 12 weeks is up, Momma.”  That’s a long time!

Sure, I could talk to the other grandmother in this situation – she wants to be called Mimi.  She was still shrieking when I called her.  We have known each other since the kids were in elementary school and we had a great time during the wedding planning so I have no doubt we will have an even better time planning for this new grandbaby.

I could talk to my daughter’s best friend - she is excited of course.

I couldn’t tell anyone else – I was so frustrated by this that I told two perfect strangers just to talk about it.  One was a bank teller and the other was just someone I was standing in line with.  They smiled and said congratulations (I know they thought I was weird, but I don’t care).

My daughter and I went shopping the next Saturday and I wanted to buy my new grandson (?) something so we bought a couple of tiny outfits (one for a boy and one for a girl – just in case).

We went to the bookstore and looked at name books.  My daughter sat in the floor, closed her eyes, opened the book randomly, and pointed to a name------------



Oh, no, this is not going to be the name of my new grandbaby.  Try again…..


She pointed to Braden twice which we thought was significant, but the Baby Daddy squelched that one when she got home.  The nerve!

We stopped by the maternity shop to buy some Preggie Drops because she thought she might hurl, but then she miraculously improved enough to eat a cupcake on the way home.

I already love being a grandmother.  I just can’t publish this post for 4 more weeks…..



No comments:

Post a Comment