Monday, December 14, 2009

The Chiffarobe

Do you have any idea what a chiffarobe is?  In the days before bedrooms had closets, there were pieces of furniture called a chiffarobe - a freestanding wardrobe similar to an armoir, but usually smaller.  One side usually had a rod to hang clothes and the other side had drawers and a mirror.




This particular one in the picture was given to my paternal grandmother and grandfather on their wedding day.  They died in the 1970s and they were in their 70s or 80s, so this piece of furniture is 100 years old.

My Daddy never cared much about antiques - having lived through the Depression, he didn't like anything old - reminded him of bad times.  So, one day he painted it white so it would match his bedroom furniture.  I told him one day I would have to pay someone to refinish it - and the day has arrived.

I brought this chiffarobe home from my parents' house this last weekend and my plan is to give it to my daughter to use in her nursery.  I will definitely have to have it refinished, but I have no doubt it will be beautiful.

A treasured heirloom passed down through my family to the next generation.  I pray that we will do the same with our faith - that we will teach the next generation about the Lord and how to live for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment