Thursday, December 17, 2009

Planning for Christmas

Christmas will be vastly different for my family this year.  When our kids were growing up we would meet at my Mom and Daddy's house along with my brother's family and have Christmas.  The last few years we have had Christmas dinner together at my house which I have really loved.

This year my parents are not able to travel and my son and daughter-in-law will be with her family in another city.  My brother's family with be with my sister-in-law's family.  Roger and I will be at home spending as much time as possible with our daughter (and our unborn granddaughter) and our son-in-law.  Fortunately, our son-in-law's family and we are friends so we can combine the holiday activities as much as possible.

Through the years holiday celebrations have changed.  It's like that Wayne Watson song, Watercolor Ponies, the line that says "what will we do, when it comes back to me and you."  Truthfully, families are like liquids - they change form throughout the years.  This year Christmas will be quiet for us - a little sad.

What will next year be like?  Lord willing, we will have a new granddaughter who will be 8 months old.  Our son and daughter-in-law are scheduled to be here for Christmas.  My brother and sister-in-law will have two college girls who will come home for Christmas.  Hopefully we will be able to get together for dinner.  Will my parents be with us - no one but the Lord knows.

Every year we will draw close to us whoever we can and we will celebrate the birth of Jesus.  We will give thanks for each one of our family members and for the blessings the Lord has given to our family. 

Merry Christmas to everyone, and as we shop and cook and enjoy the holiday, let us all remember the reason for the season!


No comments:

Post a Comment