Friday, February 19, 2010

A Lifetime Ago Yesterday

35 years ago today my mother died.  I was 22 years old.  My brother and I were devastated.  She got sick with what the doctor said was a flu and she died a week later from viral pneumonia.

She was not my birth mother, but my brother was a natural child born 19 months after my parents adopted me - surprise!  She was the mother who raised me - the only mother I had ever known.

It is hard to lose your mother when you are 22 and are just starting out in your life - getting married, having babies, needing advice.  Thankfully, my Aunt Bibby stood in the gap for me and taught me all the things that my mother would have taught me had she lived - how to cook, what to do with a baby, how to take care of my home.

Seems like yesterday when I think of the day Momma died - I still remember how I felt when they told me she had died - but it also seems like a lifetime ago.  So much has happened since - I had a baby, got divorced, got remarried, had another baby, my Dad remarried, my brother got married, got divorced, got remarried, had two children....

Life goes on, but on this day we remember Momma...
 
...may she rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment