Friday, November 6, 2009

Frat Party!

When I was in college I never went to a frat party.  I was not "cool."  I was a geek and really didn't date much and certainly didn't date a frat boy.  But I did manage by the grace of God to marry a "cool" frat boy and we have been together now for almost 30 years.  This weekend his fraternity brothers are getting together to celebrate the 45 year Delta Sigma Phi chapter reunion.  They are all 60-somethings now, but I am sure that when they are together they will still feel like those 20-somethings in college.

Even though when I tell him something he can't remember it 30 minutes later, I am sure he will be telling stories that happened in the late 1960s and early 1970s and never miss a detail.  I will know very few people there, but I will know some of the stories by heart, having heard them many times over the years.  My favorite one is about how some of his frat brothers black-balled Don Henley (of the Eagles) from getting in the fraternity because he was a "long-haired hippie."  Don Henley wrote a song about this later called "Greeks Don't Want No Freaks."  You can download it on iTunes.  No kidding!

I will sit in a corner and take pictures and let him have his fun.  Now that I think about it, this is what I did in high school and college, too.  Sit in the corner and watch the "cool" kids.  Things haven't changed much.


No comments:

Post a Comment